Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Rigor, Relevance, & Relationships

Yesterday, the first day for teachers, we attended a half day in-service on Rigor, Relevance, and Relationships. While our speaker spoke about rigor and relevance in the classroom, he always went back to relationships. He told us of his own personal experience as a student. Had it not been for a special choir teacher, he would never be where he is today. He explained to us that he came to school because of the relationship he had with a special teacher. He came to school because he knew someone loved and cared about him and was holding him accountable. All of us need those kinds of people in our lives.

Tony Nolan, who will be speaking at our church this weekend, has a testimony much like our speaker. Because someone (I think it was a teacher) took a special interest in him, a foster child, he eventually came to the Lord. Now he serves the Lord as he shares his story around the country.

So there must be something to that “relationship” part of the 3 Rs. We know it’s true. At my sweet school, we are truly like family. Just this morning Mrs. Rene, our custodian, was praying for me! She told me first thing this morning! What a blessing to know that someone is praying for you! Yep, there is something special about the “relationship” part of the 3 Rs.

With a new school year ahead of me, it’s time for me to incorporate the 3 Rs into my classroom. Rigor, Relevance, and Relationships. Humm…. I think if I can develop the “relationships” with my students, then the other two will be much easier.

Maybe tomorrow will go something like this-
1. Treat others as you want to be treated.
“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 7:12 (New International Version)

2. I will make the WISE choice.
“ If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.” James 1:5-6

And I’m not quite sure how I’ll get the last one across in the public school, but I’ve got some WISE kiddos in my classroom. I bet they’ll point the way to the others.

3. I can trust God no matter what!
“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths.”Proverbs 3:5-6

Perhaps my first week’s lessons should be entitled, “Everything I Know I Learned in KID ZONE”!

Maybe we should change the “Rigor, Relevance, & Relationships” seminar to what my pastor always says, “Faith, Family, & Friends”. I think that about sums it up!

Have a great first day of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment