Thursday, March 10, 2011

I'm Starting with the (Wo)Man in the Mirror

   I've been singing my Michael Jackson "Hee Hee" all day. It reminded of a song by Michael, "Man in the Mirror".  Maybe the Lord was trying to tell me something. 
   As long as my boys have been in school, I have had to explain to my friends and co-workers that my children are "perfectionists".  Yes, both are driven, and that is truly a blessing.  However, I get a little embarrassed when they show out because they don't achieve perfection. For example, when a teacher or coach offers constructive criticism to push them to the next level, and they melt. Fall to pieces.  They are hurt because their original effort just wasn't good enough.  Uggg!!!
  I have told my boys for years that the only perfect person walked on water.  Neither can pull that off!  So, why can't they let it go? 
   I have even tried to pin their "perfectionism" on Ronnie.  Hee hee! I mean, it couldn't come from me! I'm NOT a perfectionist! No way!  Look at my house, my truck, my classroom.  Not even close.
    I guess you could say it kinda snuck up on me.  While Ronnie was folding towels, (yes- Ronnie Folding Towels) I corrected him.  I showed him ~for the one millionth time~ how to fold the towels CORRECTLY so they would go into the bathroom cabinet neatly.  Again, I lovingly reminded him how we fold towels one way (double fold) for our bathroom and another way for the boys' bathroom and the guest bath. (triple fold)  And then it hit me.  I know where those boys get their perfectionist ways.  YIKES!!! I have issues, too!  I may not have the tidiest classroom, truck, or house, but I have "perfectionist" ways set in my mind.  I want things to be a certain way, or I might just fall apart! Humm.....
     Lord, is there any help for me, a closet perfectionist?   For my perfectionist boys?

Philippians 3:9-14 says,  "I didn't want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules when I could get the robust kind that comes from trusting Christ—God's righteousness. I gave up all that inferior stuff so I could know Christ personally, experience his resurrection power, be a partner in his suffering, and go all the way with him to death itself. If there was any way to get in on the resurrection from the dead, I wanted to do it. I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back."

     I'm starting with the (Wo)man in the Mirror, as MJ would sing. ~
 I'm asking the Lord to help me change my ways! No message could have been any clearer... if you want to make the world a better place take a look at yourself and make that CHANGE!- Michael Jackson

MESSAGE for RONNIE: No, you are not off the hook about how to fold towels correctly!  If I mow the lawn by following your directions as a help you, then you should fold the towels as I have politely suggested. Questions: see Doc.  

Ronnie & Lucy. I was sporting my Michael Jackson shirt at Atlanta airport after MJ's funeral.  So many compliments on my tshirt! Everyone wanted a MJ shirt!  I made Ronnie & the boys so proud!!! Happy Moment!! Hee hee! LOL!







   

No comments:

Post a Comment