Sunday, June 26, 2011

Top 10 Reasons I Love the USA


 Top 10 Reasons I Love the USA:
10.   I don’t have to check for black mambas under my bed every night. (I believe the “ecosystem wouldn’t support that” cold-blooded  creature –or at least it was hibernating while we were there.Guys- you can’t scare me that easily!)
9.   I can brush my teeth with tap water, not bottled water. Wooo Hooo!  No ooohhhssss!
8.   Diet Coke & Ice! (Not Coca-Cola Light!)  Diet Coke, the real thing!
7.    Smoother roads.  Surprise!!! Yes, even in Louisiana the roads are smoother. (Another reason to be thankful)
6.     Nickeys, Johnny’s Pizza,  Silver Star, and even the grocery store. (Oh how I truly dislike going to the grocery store, but at least I don’t have to grow my own food to sustain life for my family.  Praise the Lord!)
5.    Fabric Softener- yes, I so enjoy the feel of soft towels, soft sheets, and soft clothes.  And the smell of fabric softener-did I mention the smell? The magnificent smell of Downy Lavender Fabric Softener in the purple bottle is a little bit of heaven on Earth.
4.     Air Conditioner – good ole AC! We didn’t need AC except in the airport, but when it isn’t available you really miss it! (right Brad?)
3.     Food Safety- how often do we give this a second thought?  Eat as you wish because we have food regulations!
2.      Multiple electrical outlets.  We have so many gadgets to recharge that many electrical outlets are a must.
1.       INSIDE TOLIETS!!!!  Hooray for indoor plumbing!  Toilets that flush! Not a hole in the ground. 
Thank you Lord for the “little” things!
With that said, we were gently reminded how our “technology” and gadgets allow us to quickly disconnect from each other and from God.  It is nice to journey back in time to a world where less is truly more.  A place where there are far fewer “distractions” which provides us with an opportunity to actually be still and know who God is…..the Creator of the Universe.  It is evident by watching the sunrise over the savannah, or the giraffe as it nibbles leaves for its breakfast.  There is evidence in the vibrant colors of the hundreds of species of flowers, and the breathtaking aroma of rosemary that grows freely in the wild. Amazing! Who could see these wonders and doubt there is a God?  (So many of us discussed this as we watched the sunrise, and when we observed the animals in their natural habitat on the safari.)   But so often, we are totally consumed with our “technology” that we hardly even notice the quiet, awesomeness of our Creator.  And it’s on display everyday….even in the good ole USA.  

Psalms 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”

No comments:

Post a Comment