Saturday, June 4, 2011

Disney World vs. Real World

     Disney World was awesome!  Even Ronnie couldn't believe his eyes!!! We saw Snow White, Mickey Mouse, Alice in Wonderland, some princesses and princes! There were parades, and life was truly magical.  Walking down Main Street with "We're All in this Together!" blasting, I just wanted to run up to Peyton, grab his hand, and start dancing like we did when he was 4 or 5 in the living room.  But I didn't!  I grabbed Nate instead! But I didn't embarrass him- much!
      The rides I rode 29 years ago were just as wonderful as they were back then.  Oh, there were new rides, and new tunes, and new princesses, and new characters and all were absolutely fantastic. Parades that made Ronnie stop and take note. And Cinderella's Castle was still standing tall. (Now who wouldn't want to live in such a magnificent castle?) From the opening act as the Magic Kingdom welcomed us into the gates, until the fireworks ended the day, life was magical.  And everyone lived happily ever after...
       But then news came. And all too soon the magic was gone.   
       Another grieving family. A child taken too soon. Ugggg. And it was a blast into reality. 
       Oh, Disney World is great! A wonderful escape. A place to be a kid again. But we live in the real world. And Cinderella's castle isn't really a castle at all.  It appears to be on the outside, but she doesn't live there with her prince happily ever after.  And neither do we.
      The truth is we live in the real world.  The fallen real world.  A place where accidents happen, and people get sick.  Even children.  Families suffer. Hearts break. Tears fall- often. I don't like it!  It stinks!
      What about my favorite verse- Jer. 29:11? It states, "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans for a hope and a future". How does that work when our hearts hurt so deeply? What about the plans we had?  So much loss......
      Proverbs 3:5-6 says, "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;  in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."  I've never been "crazy" about those verses.  Maybe because I like things to go "my" way.  Maybe, I think that my way is best. 
      But it's not.  I don't understand why the Lord allows things to happen the way He does. But those verses say two things. First, trust in the Lord. Now that's not easy especially when it hurts so deeply.  Then, it says Lean not on your understanding.  In other words, God is saying to me: "Dawn, You have no idea what I'm up to- and your little human mind wouldn't understand." And He is right. Always.
      I don't like it. I don't understand. I want answers. But He says "trust". "Trust in me- I promise I'm still in control."
      And so we go on with our lives in the real world. No real castles, no real princess and prince, and many days of no happily ever after. 
     But I can continue to teach my fourth grade girls that "I can trust God no matter what".  Because we can. Even when we don't feel like it. He's not going to let us go.  Romans 8:39 reminds us, "nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
      Charles Stanley writes, "God is more interested in our character than our comfort". Yikes! (see http://www.intouch.org/resources/sermon-outlines/content/topic/the_valley_experiences_in_our_life_outline)  There is so much more that I need to learn!
       Disney World is magical. But it's not real. Real life is difficult. Very.  But God is real and never changes! So, I know that I can trust God no matter what.  And one day soon, I will live in a Castle (aka-mansion) with the King of Kings forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment